William Ernest Morrison
William Ernest Morrison migrated to Australia about 1910. He was the second of five children to John and Margaret (nee Christian) Morrison. He was born at Ballaquaggan, Malew, Isle of Man on 28 June 1884 and baptised at Santon (St. Sanctain) on 26 October 1884. In the 1901 census his occupation was given as a gardener living at Kentraugh in the parish of Rushen.
He migrated to Australia about 1910, and in Auguet 1912 he married Elizabeth Caroline Marion Thomasina Ramsden (nee Briscoe) with his occupation was given as farmer. The family lived at "Beaconsfield" in Tower Street East Hills on his mother-in-law, Elizabeth Briscoe's property. Following Elizabeth's death, the property was sold in June 1918 and the family moved to Bankstown.
They lived at "The Ranch" in Restwell Street Bankstown and Ernie went into business as fuel and produce merchant with various partners further up the street near South Terrace.
In about 1927 after his business failed Ernie left Bankstown, and Caroline struggled in raise her two teenage children, with the help of the extended (Briscoe) family.
At the time of his death at Yarra Bay on 20 July 1951, he lived at Riley Street, Sydney. He was cremated at the Eastern Suburbs Crematorium on 23 July 1951.
|Morrison, William Ernest||28. Jun. 1884||He was born at Ballaquaggan on the Isle of Man. His surname was spelt "Morresson" on certificate but formerly also spelt "formaley"|
|26. Oct. 1884||He was christened in Santon parish.|
|19. Mar. 1899||He was confirmed at the Rushen parish church, aged 15 1/2years, living at Kentraugh.|
|1901||He was a gardener at Kentraugh in Rushen parish.|
|c 1911||He immigrated to Australia, presumably to Sydney.|
|3. Aug. 1912||When he married Elizabeth Briscoe at the Registrar's office in Beamish Street Campsie, his occupation was recorded a farmer at East Hills.|
|1915||When his son Alfred was born he was recorded as a stonemason|
|bt 1915 - 1917||With his young family he lived at "Beaconsfield" in Weston Street, East Hills as a poultry farmer|
|bt 1917 - 1918||The Sands Directory recorded him living in Leonard Street, Bankstown where the house was name Ellan Vannin (Manx for the Isle of Man).|
|1921||He was in business as "Morrison Richards & Co" produce store off South Terrace west side|
|bt 1921 - 1923||The family lived in Restwell Street, Bankstown where the house was known as "The Ranch".|
|1922||He continued in business as "Morrison & Dunford" produce store in Restwell Street, west sdie of South Terrace, Bankstown.|
|1923||With the failure of the previous partnership he resumed business as "Morrison & Briscoe" Fuel & Produce Merchants.|
|20. Mar. 1927||When he sent a letter to children Kydia and Alf he was employed at Sydney Central Railway Rest Rooms.|
|1945||His Railways employment record showed him as a grill cook (at Central Railway Station).|
|bt 1947 - 1951||The electoral roll recorded him as living at 247 Riley Street, Sydney.|
|20. Jul. 1951||He died at Hill 60 in Yarra Bay, Sydney of "heart disease inquest dispensed with".|
|23. Jul. 1951||He was cremated at Eastern Suburbs Crematorium and a plaque was erected.|
|c 1951||Frog Hollow and Hill 60 were two other shanty towns near Yarra Bay. Many of the families living there were post World War 2 migrants from the Baltic countries, Germany, the Middle East and Aboriginal people from the South Coast. Most of these people worked full time in nearby suburbs. The camps were closed in the late 1950s and last shacks demolished in the early 1960s|